Monday, October 14, 2013

Lights Out

Another week of mission craziness gone!  I really can't ever remember what happened during the week when I sit down to write on Monday.  So sometimes I look through my agenda to see if it will help jog my memory.  It didn't really.

But this week we had two month-a-versaries, Hermana Lyons completed six months in the mission on the 10th, and Hermana Frandsen and I completed 13 months on Saturday.  13 MONTHS!!!!!  Hermana Lyons wanted to eat lemon pie for her 33% mark, so we took a temporary break from our diet and had pie.  It was good.  We didn't do anything special for our 13 months, Hermana Frandsen and I.  After you complete a year, it's like what's one more month?  Just one less, actually.  Lame!

The other day for some reason I started talking in Spanish in this really weird, high-pitched, nasaly voice and going on about how good my Chilean accent is and how everyone tells me that I speak perfect Spanish.  One of the recent converts in our ward, Aracely, was there and she thought it was about the funniest thing ever.  (I don't remember how much I have said about Aracely, but suffice it to say that SHE IS THE BEST!  We are always figthing over who gets to take her home with us.)  So now whenever Aracely is around, she's like, "Hermana Burgess, talk like a Chilean!" and I do the voice and she dies laughing and everyone else just looks at me funny.  It's great.

Hermana Lyons and I this week perfected some raps that we have been working on in those brief empty moments.  We each have one to introduce ourselves and they turned out great, if I do say so myself.  I might try to send some video, but it's all in Spanish mission-lingo with a bunch of inside jokes, so I am not sure how much y'all will appreciate it.  But it was a hit at last night's noche de hogar.

Yesterday morning while we were getting ready to go to church, suddenly all the lights went out.  This is pretty normal, seeing as throughout the course of the morning we usually use two space heaters, one or two straighteners, some kind of music player, occasionally the toaster, and the hot water in the shower which is also supplied by electricity, if we somehow forget to turn one thing off before we turn on another we get cut and we have to just turn everything off and run downstairs and flip the switch.  Well, we tried that but it didn't work.  So we went outside and flipped the big breaker switch a couple times.  Didn't work either.  But Hermana Lyons checked out the window and she said that the street lights, which are usually on all the time, were also out, so it must have been the whole street.  Well when we got to church we found out that it wasn't just us, or even just our street, but all of Hualqui that was without electricity, and that it would be like that until about 4:00 in the afternoon.  So in church we had only the emergency generator lights, no piano (because all the churches here use Clavinova-like electric keyboards), and no microphone.  It was fast and testimony meeting and it was so interesting without any amplification or lights.  But we went on nonetheless.  Nothing stops real Latter-Day Saints from going to church!

This week, in addition to my Book of Mormon reading, I studied a bit from the section "Talk With Everyone" in Preach My Gospel.  There was one scripture that I especially liked, in D&C 24:12, which says:  "And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men."  Isn't that awesome?  Strength such as is not known among men!  I am going to try to get that!

Many of you have told me how you are doing with the Book of Mormon.  I am so excited to hear about what you are reading!  Keep it up this week!  Let's read EVERY DAY!!!!!

Well, that's all for now.  Hope you are all happy and well!  Keep reading and praying and looking for those missionary opportunities.  Thanks for your love and prayers and emails and support and for everything!

Lovelovelove,

Herman

No comments:

Post a Comment